Think you’ve got what it takes to be 100% scam-proof? It’s time to put your knowledge to the test! Answer the following questions as best that you can and see the correct answers below.
Are you a buy-and-sell pro?
- You are looking for a secondhand iPhone 6S. What do you do first?
- Research on the item
- Offer a price to the first ad you see
- Contact the seller
- Withdraw money from the bank
- You found a good ad for iPhone 6S on OLX. What do you do next?
- Set a meet-up
- Ask questions about the item
- Ask for more photos about the item
- B & C
- The seller asks you for a downpayment of 50% before the meet-up. What do you do?
- Send it through PayPal
- Send money through wire transfer
- Ask for their bank details
- Check the seller’s location
- If you’ve sent the downpayment and suddenly, you never hear from the seller again, what type of online scammer did you encounter?
- An online buyer insists that you continue your conversation through email. What should you do?
- Continue your conversation through email
- Stop communication
- Ship the item
- All of the above
- You’re an online seller and decided to meet up with an interested buyer. Which of these isn’t a good location?
- Their car inside a public parking
- A Starbucks branch near your office
- Your favorite restaurant inside SM
- A 7-11 close to where you live
- You’ve finally met up with a seller of an item you’re interested in. What should you do if the item is not as described to you?
- Run away as fast as you can
- Politely decline the offer
- Report them to the police immediately
- Reluctantly buy it anyway
- The seller of an item you’re interested in lives on another island. What is the safest way to send money?
- Through PayPal
- Through wire transfer
- Through bank transfer
- Fly on a plane to their location
Check below to see the correct answers. Let us know what your score is and if you have additional tips for buyers and sellers to be scam-proof.
To read more on Cybersecurity tips, visit our Cybersecurity home base and be scam-proof 100% of the time!
- A – Research on the item. Researching on the item lets you familiarize yourself with the product that you’re buying. This lessens the risk of getting shortchanged, because you know exactly what to ask the seller. Take note of what you learn about the product so you can set your expectations.
- D – Ask questions and photos of the item. Don’t be shy when asking a lot of questions about the item you’re buying. This is to allow you to assess whether the seller is credible, and whether the value offered is worth it. Ask for photos as well so you know that the product truly exists!
- D – Check the seller’s location. An OLX ad should tell you where the seller posted the ad. If you have doubts, ask the seller themselves where they are stationed. If they don’t live too far away from you, insist on a meet-up instead of making any kind of payment. This lessens the risk of being ghosted by the seller.
- B – Thief. An online thief runs away with your downpayment or full payment before you get access to the item you bought. Always take precaution when sending money to someone you’ve never met.
- B – Stop communication. Many scams happen through email. This increases the chance of phishing as well. If a seller/buyer insists, take this as a sign of caution. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
- A – Their car inside a public parking. Never, under any circumstance, get inside a stranger’s car especially when it involves money. Always choose a public, well-lit and well-guarded place like cafes, convenience stores, and malls. Remember to bring someone with you, too.
- B – Politely decline the offer. You have every right to decline the offer if it’s not as promised to you. When transacting, always ensure that both parties are doing their share of the bargain. If you have been lied to in any way, don’t be shy about changing your mind. It’s your money, after all!
- C – Through bank transfer. The safest way to send money is through bank transfer. This way, you can at least track the name and location of the recipient. So if you feel like they’ve run away with your money, you know where to look!
How did you do in the test? Let us know in the comments!